Million Hearts® Media Outreach
Develop New Strategic Media Outreach Activities in Support of HHS’s Million Hearts® Initiative
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Million Hearts® initiative is co-led by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and is under the umbrella of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
Plan and conduct strategic media outreach activities to maintain and increase momentum of the Million Hearts® initiative to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes by 2017.
Palladian continues to provide tactical media outreach for HHS’s Million Hearts® initiative through follow-on contracts since we strategically announced the Million Hearts® initiative in 2011. For that initial effort, we developed a comprehensive strategic communications plan, including
- a press event with numerous spokespeople from federal and private-sector partners
- a news release
- press packets
- a live webcast
- a follow-on media telebriefing, among other targeted outreach activities
Since the launch, we have
- provided media and spokesperson training;
- monitored ongoing media coverage of and created media lists for Million Hearts® using Cision and Critical Mention; and
- developed supporting media advisory and press materials, news releases, broadcast tools, and materials and outreach to reporters.
In early 2015, we supported the announcement of 30 new Million Hearts® Hypertension Control Champions through several strategically targeted activities, including
- planning, promoting, and implementing a radio media tour for Million Hearts® Executive Director Janet Wright, M.D., with outlets across the country;
- developing media lists and materials and conducting outreach to local reporters in the Champions’ markets;
- designing and disseminating plaques for the winners; and
- creating success stories to showcase and applaud the Champions’ high performance during 2014 in helping patients control their blood pressure and prevent heart attacks and strokes.
We created an animated video infographic to explain Heart Age, a new way of understanding a person’s risk of dying from heart attack or stroke. It was created to accompany the September 2015 CDC Vital Signs report, which focused on Heart Age. The video needed to reach both consumers and physicians—and to explain Heart Age in an engaging way. The result is both charming and easy to understand.
For the Palladian-supported radio media tour announcing the 2014 Hypertension Control Challenge Champions, we placed 19 live and recorded placements and 408 audio news releases across the country.
The Hypertension Control Champions announcement web page was viewed 2,996 times, a 30-fold increase from 2014, indicating a significant rise in challenge engagement. In addition, by providing media and spokesperson training, along with supporting materials, we expanded communication outreach and sharing by Million Hearts® partners and Champions.
- Materials and Publications Development
- Media Planning, Outreach, and Monitoring
- Message Development
- Strategic Communication Planning
- Strategic Content Development
- Website Content and Multimedia Strategy